Friday 6th April
- Meet at 1:00 pm at the Beijing Jingu Qilong Hotel where your guide will talk you through the itinerary and give you your visas and tickets.
- People taking the train will depart Beijing Central station at 5:25 pm. The journey to Pyongyang takes 24 hours.
Saturday 7th April
- At 7:00 am train group arrive at Dandong for Chinese border control. We depart again at 10:00 am for Sinuiju where North Korean border control is carried out.
- Flight group: will go to Sinuiju Airport to catch the Air Koryo domestic flight from Sinuiju to Pyongyang.
- Train group: depart Sinuiju and reach Pyongyang by 5:30 pm
- Receive a city map from your guide and enjoy evening views of the capital as the bus does a lap of the Pyongyang Marathon route to give you a clear understanding of where you will be running.
- Spend the night getting to know the group and your guides over drinks and dinner in Sosan Hotel where we will stay for the entire trip.
Sunday 8th April – Pyongyang Marathon Day!
- Either participate in or spectate at the Pyongyang Marathon! You have a choice to run either the mini, half or full marathon – the course consists of spectacular views and loops around Pyongyang city. Spectators also have the option to watch a DPRK local football league match in the nearby stadium (tickets are 20 euros).
- Lunch in the Mangyongdae District at the popular KITC Restaurant – if you’re going authentic then try the famous Pyongyang Cold noodles or the delicious Korean Bibimbap dish.
- Give those tired muscles a stretch at Munsu Water Park – with indoor pools and amazing waterslides. And for those who dont feel like swimming the park also has a cafe, shop, beer bar, table tennis, billiards, a massage parlous and a beauty salon – optional charges.
- Next its on to the Taedonggang Micro Brewery. We celebrate completing the Pyongyang marathon with multiple delicious draft beers on tap. Soft drinks and tea/coffee are also available.
- Dinner at the National Restaurant. Expect live music and dancing with the waitresses!
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Monday 9th April
- Stroll around the scenic Mansudae fountain park which is flanked by the mosaic pictures of President Kim Il Sung and the Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Some photos at the Mansudae Grand Monument where we can show our respects to the President Kim Il Sung and the Leader Kim Jong Il. (You have the option to donate flowers if you wish. Cost 2-4 euro.)
- Some photos at Kim Il Sung Square- The Main square of Pyongyang City
- Foreign Language Bookshop – really good spot for propaganda souvenirs – Books, DVD’s, DPRK Flags, etc.
- Lunch at Chongryu Hot Pot restaurant
- The Pyongyang Metro will take us to The Arch of Triumph- The largest Victory Arch on the planet. It commemorates Kim Il Sung and his victory over the Japanese.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum (Korean War museum) – A fascinating insight into Korean warfare and history. We have a local historian as a guide who will show us the enormous collection of dioramas, weaponry, tanks and even some captured American equipment.
- Juche Tower – monument to the everlasting Juche Ideology (nice photo opp overlooking the capital at the top of the tower for an additional €5).
- Monument to the Party Foundation. An ornate monument built in memory of the worker’s party.
- Stop by Dongsong restaurant for dinner.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Tuesday 10th April
- Early breakfast and then we drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum- Korea’s oldest university and now a history and culture museum. Also home to an interesting stamp and propaganda poster shop. No other souvenirs will encapsulate the North Korean experience more!
- The DMZ- aka ‘the tensest place on earth’. Our guide here will be a friendly KPA officer who will give us an insightful tour and also pose for some photos.
- Traditional Korean lunch at the Thongil Restaurant in Kaesong City. This is a good opp to try some Korean Pansangi- an array of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog soup €5, Ginseng Stuffed Whole Chicken €30- can be split between several).
- Next stop is the provincial capital of Sariwon City. Admire the scenery with a walk in the local folk park. Nice views of the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in the local tea house
- We stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification which stands over the Thongil Highway.
- We arrive back in Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Famous Lamb BBQ restaurant with a traditional performance!
Wednesday 11th April
- Visit the Korean Film Studio – a truly unique place where over 1000 Korean films and television series have been produced down through the years. We’ll also explore the film sets of Seoul, China, a European town and old Koryo dynasty villages. Props and costumes are supplied if anyone would like to dress up!
- Mansudae Art Studio- most of DPRK’s most famous art and statues have been produced here.
- Grand Peoples Study House
- Lunch at Ji Ha Restaurant.
- Visit the Kwanbok department store where we can shop with the locals and have access to the local DPRK won currency!
- The all new Science and Technology Park – the North Koreans have proudly organised an exhibition of all their latest medical, scientific and warfare technology.
- The newly renovated Meari Shooting range. Take your pick from pistols, archery, rifles, virtual games and even automatics.
- Monument to the Party Foundation
- An afternoon stroll along the new Mirae Scientist Street. One of the newer residential districts of the capital.
- Potonggang Restaurant for our last dinner.
- Kaeson Youth Park (Entry 2 euros, rides 3 to 5 euros extra each depending on how awesome they are).
- Farewell drinks at Taedonggan Diplomat’s club. Decent selection of local and imported drinks, karaoke, billiards and a good chance to chat with some Pyongyang expats.
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel
Thursday 12th April
- At 10 am flight takers depart for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving at 11:30 Beijing time)
- At 10:10 am train takers depart for Beijing on train K28.
Friday 13th April
- At 9 am the train will arrive in Beijing Railway Station