GLOBAL VILLAGE TOURS – MYANMAR HORIZONS (DECEMBER 20TH-27TH 2017)
With years spent isolated from the rest of the world, Myanmar has seen a big increase in visitors in recent years – however, do not expect to find many other foreigners exploring this amazing country and a dreamlike world (for better or worse) portrayed in the novels of George Orwell.
Starting in Yangon, prepare to be blown away by this exotic and vibrant capital city – a melting pot of Burmese, Indian, British and Chinese ethnicity, culture & architecture. The buildings here are astounding and you will feel like you have been transported to the colonial era.
Bagan, a favourite location of some of our own staff – really has to be seen to be believed. Picture almost 2,500 temples spread out for as far as the eye can see. Many have ancient murals on their inside walls which you can gaze at. At sundown when you view the stupas against the backdrop of the orange sky – it’s a sight that you will never forget.
Arriving in Mandalay we will take a tour of the second largest city in Myanmar. We travel onwards to the enormous and exceptionally beautiful Inle Lake area, experiencing what life is like for the residents of its shores and water villages.
On Christmas day we explore Pindaya Shwe U Min natural cave, with over 9000 Budha images before driving to Kalaw a high altitude former hill station for British civil servants seeking a cooler climate from the low lands below.
If you have any questions or queries about our Myanmar New Horizons Tour drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All accommodation
- All transportation
- Guide services
- Entrance fees (unless specified otherwise)
- Flight ticket from Mandalay to Heho
- International flights
- Porter fees
- Tips for the local guide
- Entrance fees for (optional) elephant camp (125 USD per person)
|At a glance:
||Yangon – Bagan – Mandalay – Nyaungshwe – Kalaw – Yangon 6 nights, 7 days
Wednesday 20th December
- Arrive in Yangon as per your own schedule. This is an exotic city with simply incredible architecture left over from it colonial past.
- Transfer to our hotel in Yangon for orientation and to get to know your group. We will head out for a few drinks tonight.
- Overnight at our hotel
Thursday 21st December
- Bright and early start today for our tour of Yangon city and the main sights that dot the area. This will include a visit to some really amazing temples so please pack trousers that can cover your knees and something to cover your shoulders as well.
- Today will include a visit to a market in the city where we can experience the buzz of commerce and of course sample some of the endless arrays of produce that is available here.
- We will take a ferry (about 20 minutes) from one of the jetties in the city to a traditional Burmese township. A very authentic experience here!
- After a lovely lunch of local cuisine (Burmese food being one of the world’s best-kept secrets!) we get ready to take the overnight bus to Bagan – the next gem on our tour of this amazing country.
Friday 22nd December
- We arrive into Bagan at around 10 am in the morning and go straight to our hostel get some food.
- We take a tour of Bagan city – really one of the most amazing sights in the world and a favourite of our own staff. It has the world’s largest concentration of Buddhist temples, pagoda’s and ruins here and really has to be seen to be believed.
- There is a lot of freedom here to wander around and given the scale of the place, it won’t feel in any way packed with people. You can easily pick one temple and you could easily be the only person sitting on top watching the sunset over this magical place.
- Later we hit for the Night Market where there is a great atmosphere all around. We will have dinner and a few drinks here.
- We spend the night at our Bagan hostel
Saturday 23rd December
- Early start today for our 7-hour bus journey to the city of Mandalay, stopping along the way for refreshments.
- We arrive in Mandalay in the afternoon. This is the next biggest city after Yangon in Myanmar. We check-in to our city hotel.
- Heading into the city, we will get some lunch before going on a walking tour of the city including Mandalay Hill & former Royal Palace.
- Tonight we will go to a famous show that is performed by the Mustache Brothers who are former jailed dissidents. We will have dinner and drinks afterwards.
- Spend the night at our Mandalay hotel.
Sunday 24th December
- Early start to catch our internal flight to Heho Airport before transferring to Inle Lake and the traditional town that lies on its shores. It is so quaint that you could easily spend weeks or months here.
- We will get dinner and drinks at one of the many excellent restaurants here. There is some fantastic Burmese cuisine especially.
- Watch the sunset over Inle Lake over a few drinks. We spend the night in the sleepy relaxing town of Nyaungshwe.There are some nice café’s locally that often show examples of Myanmar cinema.
Monday 25th December
- Christmas Morning!
- We explore the natural cave at Pindaya Shwe U Min. It’s really peaceful in this area and there is a nice covered uphill walk. There are approximately 9000 statues and images of Buddha here.
- We take some lunch before driving to Kalaw, an old hill station which is at fairly high altitude. The views from here are amazing.
- Check-in to our Kalaw hostel for some R&R before heading out for a lovely ‘Christmas’ dinner. Afterwards, we will climb the Stairway to Heaven for views out over the city and watch the sunset.
- Later, we get some Christmas drinks in the city!
- Stay overnight at our hostel in Kalaw.
Tuesday 26th December
- The mountains in this area are pretty incredible so we take a drive through some untouched parts of the landscape that people do not often see.
- Lunch, followed by a small hike to Green Valley Elephant camp where we can attend to the Elephants. There is an extra charge for Green Valley Elephant camp. If you would rather not stop here you can instead take the alternative of trekking to the village of Palaung which is home to an ethnic tribe.
- Tonight we take the overnight bus back to Yangon.
Wednesday 27th December
- We arrive back in Yangon for the conclusion of the tour. Depart as per your own schedule.
- Arrival in Yangon and end of the tour. Lots of options for international flights.