PAPUA NEW GUINEA TRAVEL – MOUNT HAGEN FESTIVAL (August 13th – 18th 2018)
Witch doctors, fierce tribal warriors and head-hunters await you in one of the most remote places on earth. This is Papua New Guinea Travel! Join us in exploring Papua New Guinea and experience the breathtaking beauty and colour of the Mount Hagen Festival.
On this tour, we will be taking full advantage of the festival celebrations allowing you to experience the wonder of traditional New Guinean culture. Over the course of three days, the Mount Hagen Festival showcases the traditional dress and dancing of hundreds of tribes from all over the island.
The tour also takes in the capital, Port Moresby, where you will meet your guide and fellow travellers over drinks at the yacht club, before journeying deep into the interior of one of the most isolated parts of the world. Don’t miss out on this incredible chance to explore this stunning hidden gem!
Dates for this tour are subject to change depending on the best dates for the festival to take place. Also, if you like this be sure to check out our October Wonders of Iran tour.
Highlights of the Papua New Guinea Mount Hagen Festival tour
- Witness the magnificent Mount Hagen Festival, featuring a myriad of performances and costumes from over 100 tribes of local people including skeleton men, the Huli Wigmen and the phenomenal Waipa mass dance.
- Trek through the jungles and scale the mountains of the Mount Hagen highlands with the chance to see rare wildlife and even a witch doctor!
- Take in the main city of Mount Hagen, Papua New Guinea’s third largest city, indulging in its street food and checking out the markets.
- Accommodation in Mt. Hagen and Port Moresby
- All meals from lunch on day 2 to breakfast on day 6
- Return flights to Mt. Hagen from Port Moresby
- Show admission tickets
- Local guide and western guide
- Visa (we can provide support if needed)
- International flights to and from Papua New Guinea
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Tips for the local guide
- Single Supplement
|At a glance:
||Port Moresby – Mt Hagen – Port Moresby 6 nights, 7 days
ITINERARY > MOUNT HAGEN FESTIVAL
Monday 13th August
- Meet your guide and your fellow travellers at the hotel in Port Moresby at 4 pm.
- Enjoy a group dinner and some drinks at the Port Moresby yacht club. We will discuss the trip in more detail and it will also give you a chance to get to know your guide and fellow travellers.
- Stay overnight in Port Moresby
Tuesday 14th August
- Early morning transfer to the airport to catch our flight to Mt. Hagen with PNG Airlines departing at 9:15 am and arriving in Mount Hagen at 11:30 am.
- Meet our local guides upon arrival and transfer to our hotel for check-in.
- Go on a guided city tour to Mount Hagen main market and visit the fresh produce market which features various kinds of tribal artefacts unique to the interior of the New Guinea highlands.
- Journey out into the surrounding mountains for more sightseeing, including kinds of wildlife, much of it unique to Papua New Guinea, such as birds of paradise, highland echidnas and cassowaries.
- Return to Mount Hagen for dinner and stay overnight.
Wednesday 15th August
- After breakfast at 9 am, we will drive out to Urup (1 hour).
- Take a short hike in the jungle, visit a witch doctor and watch a young man’s initiation ceremony.
- Scour the lively local markets for souvenirs.
- Drive back to Mount Hagen (1 hour) to have dinner and stay overnight.
Thursday 16th August
- After an early breakfast, transfer out to the show ground and do a full day tour of the festival, seeing the costumes and performances of over 100 local tribes, including skeleton men.
- Participate for a full day with a street food lunch outside the hotel.
- Following the afternoon show, we will head back to the hotel for dinner and stay overnight.
Friday 17th August
- Return for the second day of the festival, this time with a chance to see the Huli Wigmen, famous for their elaborate hair and headdresses. They are a part of one of the largest tribes of New Guinea and have over 1000 years of history in the region.
- Be treated to a special lunch cooked in a dug earth oven called a ‘mumu’, unique to the highlands area. The food cooked will primarily be pork, chicken and local root vegetables.
- Watch more dances at the show and have your picture taken with some of the Huli Wigmen.
- Stay overnight in Mount Hagen.
Saturday 18th August
- The final day of the festival, this time with a chance to see the Waipa dance, also known as the “big jump” dance. This a mass dance only found in Papua New Guinea, a sensational sight and definitely a highlight of the trip.
- Celebrate the end of the festival and tour with a night out, go for dinner and drinks and party Papua New Guinea style! You haven’t done Papua New Guinea Travel until you’ve gotten drunk with the locals!
- Stay overnight in Mount Hagen.
Sunday 19th August
- Early breakfast and transfer to the airport.
- Arrival in Port Moresby with onward international connections available.
- End of our Papua New Guinea Tour.